Tuesday, October 16, 2012

New Chi City


Both of TheStylisted’s cofounders are thin crust loving, Yankees/Giants New Yorkers who have recently put down roots in Chicago. Whether it’s out of polite conversation or a genuine curiosity, I am often asked which city I like better. I don’t really like this question because I think the comparison does a disservice to both cities. They are wonderfully different.

While many complain that the world’s cities and citizens are falling to Starbucks and losing their uniqueness, I am happy to report that they are not. Only 800 miles from my native New York, I am shocked by how different things are here. Yes, everyone knows that Chicago is cheaper, colder, cleaner and the people are generally nicer and that New York has “this energy,” more restaurants and it’s bars are open later etcetera, etcetera. BUT there are a handful of things – little things that taken together affect my quality of life– that I hadn’t anticipated. I would like to discuss these differences to enlighten those who might be considering a move, and hopefully reassure you that the distinctiveness of our fine cities is in tact.

Where New York has Chicago beat:
  • Delivery: Without exception, Chicago restaurants charge for delivery. Not only do I need to pay an additional $3 to get food delivered right to my door, I feel incredibly awkward about tipping. I end up tipping what I would if there were no delivery charge, but I’m a student… and I am lazy.
  • Bodegas: The concept of bodegas is completely foreign in Chicago. The closest thing to a corner store is a 7-Eleven. If you want a carton of milk or cookies without any fan fair, well, tough cookies.
  • Nail salons: I’ve pretty much given up on manicures because they are $15 in Chicago vs. NYC’s $10 manicure (shout out to Nails Boutique on Hudson Street).
  • Safety: I rarely feel unsafe in New York simply because there are always people around. In Chicago, that’s just not the case. Did I mention I was mugged last week…at 1:30pm?

Where Chicago crushes New York:
  • Cell phone service on the El: I know that many see this as the end of a civilized society, but most people don’t abuse it and send emails/surf the internet instead of chatting.
  • BYOB: SO many restaurants in Chicago are BYOB thanks to difficult licensing laws. Get this - there is actually a nine course tasting menu that is BYOB (and corkage fee is only $2.50).
  • Bloodies: Bloody Marys in Chicago are a meal in a glass. You thought a celery stalk was fun? Try a stick of jerky, a cube of cheddar cheese, gherkins, and stuffed peppers. Pretty standard here. Not to mention the ubiquity of make-your-own Bloody Mary bars.
  • Music venues: Music is just more accessible here. So many good bands come through and it’s easier to get tickets to one of the many intimate and funky venues.
  • Lake Michigan: If you’ve ever seen it, there’s really no need to elaborate. While I realize that few New Yorkers are out there bragging about the East River and the Hudson, Chicago’s 28 miles of lakefront shoreline and 30+ beaches put these bodies of water to shame. 

These are the things I think about as I jog down Lake Michigan, with a slight headache from day drinking, a can of mace tucked in my Lulus, wondering what I’ll have for dinner. Am I missing anything?

P.S. Like TheStylisted on Facebook!

P.P.S. Follow TheStylisted on Twitter!

5 comments:

  1. What about 302 all being in NY to give NY another point over Chicago? Or t the very least, the 7,342 sushi restaurants!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sushi definitely deserves its own bullet! You guys have it so good in NYC. Also, 302 is a given :)

      Delete
  2. There were CHEESE CUBES in the bloody mary in Chicago! I still have dreams about it!!

    But I couldn't live without the $10 manicures in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved visiting Chicago - those Bloodys were awesome and I was really jealous of the huge apartments everyone has, but I love that in NYC, I can hop around different areas with no planning or effort, not to mention the ease of getting a cab (Chicago was a little too big and spread out to hop around easily). Also can't forget New York's superior pizza, Broadway, and sample sales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guuurrl there are so many rats in Chicago's back alleys (a la Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc). Definitely fewer rats on the El than on the subway though!

    ReplyDelete