Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Unfit Outfit


            My friend Claire and I have had a running competition for the last 5 years or so – who can put themselves out there in the world looking worse? Whenever I find myself walking the streets in an “outfit” that should never have been born (let alone seen by another human), I snap a shot with my iPhone and send it to Claire. My last submission include brown terrycloth pants, a college boyfriend’s XXL hooded sweatshirt, and (here’s the kicker) black leather slip on boots. This ensemble was the lovechild of laziness and hunger. My apartment was freezing (thus the sweat suit), I wanted dumplings and they don’t deliver, and my boots were right at the door and easy to get on. Another submission included a boyfriend’s button down (slept at his place and did a terrible packing job) tucked into an ivory skirt with an old coffee stain the size of my fist. The stain was on my butt so I didn’t notice it until I was out the door…. On my way to work. I kept my jacket on the whole day, which I now realize made the whole outfit that much more awkward.

            Sitting in class yesterday, I realized that Claire and I hadn’t played in a while.  In the last year, I have made a much greater effort to put myself together. Although fashion has never been (and will probably never be) a top concern of mine, feeling good about myself certainly is. When I spend the extra 10 to 15 minutes in the morning making sure an outfit works, or doing something with my hair, I feel better for the rest of the day. I feel more beautiful, I project more confidence, and I have no doubt that those around me are pickin’ up what I’m putting down.

Look good, feel good.

Lauren

P.S. Yesterday I was wearing Lululemon leggings with motorcycle boots. This could have easily been a contest submission BUT I was wearing a long sweater that covered the Lulu logo and much of my thighs. Okay…maybe that’s still terrible…

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more - as I've gotten older, I've realized that the more together I look on the outside, the better I feel about myself and I conduct myself as such. It should be a mantra: look good, feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a fun game, I must admit...but you never know who you may run into on the street! Sometimes those extra 10-15 minutes really make your whole day that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way I've learned how to counter the frump look, is to invest in better lounging/lazy clothes. That way, even if I'm in a rush/I'm lazy, whatever I throw on will look decent...in theory of course ;-) I'm with Claire though- I've been in one too many frump outfits when walking past the potential man of my dreams. That was enough motivation to change it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true. I always make the same mistake! You never know who you're going to meet. By the way, Lauren, you are quite the cutie. Any chance you'd be interested in a 5'8 jew who is intelligent, very good looking, great personality, and really just an amazing catch. if so "challah" at me.

    love

    h riz o

    ReplyDelete