Monday, September 16, 2013

So Long Summer Skin Tips from a pro!


Hello ‘Stylisted Seekers!
As we approach the fall season, the main complaint I’m hearing is dry skin—women begin to feel like their skin is looking dull and they want something new to liven up their look for fall.  I hear this mostly twice a year- the beginning of fall, and the end of winter.  Skin starts looking and feeling more dehydrated than most days because of the change in season.  You need to hydrate more, exfoliate more, and just plain take better care of your skin during this time.  It’s not just about drinking more water.  It’s actually about drawing more water to your skin by using either Hyaluronic Acid or Rose Oil, which helps attract moisture to the skin.  

A great glowing skin starts with hydration.  A great fall look also starts with hydrated skin.

If you have ever watched a “how to” makeup application video, you will notice that there are many artists out there that will show you how to do a “smoky eye”, brows, foundations, etc., but they rarely ever talk about skin care, primer, or AGE.  Let’s face it, I certainly don’t have the same elasticity, hydration, and color in my skin the way I did in my 20’s.  My hair isn’t the same in bulk and luster, and my eyes are starting to look like bedroom eyes…and not in a good way!  I can’t wear the same clothes as a 20 year old does without putting on some major tucking and smoothing undergarments, and I certainly can’t wear a smoky eye without adding all the additional hydrating and smoothing primers under the makeup.

This is why the clients who have come to me for years for makeup application also expect and appreciate my advice on skincare.  Here are some basic rules that I have used with them and myself.  These rules are tried and tested, helping my clients’ skin to look and act better.

1) Always use oily eye makeup remover as your eye cleanser, even if you are not wearing eye makeup.  Never use face products around the eyes.  Rinse off the excess oil with a wet washcloth and only use eye cream under the eyes, not on the lid.
Let me explain: About 60% of my new clients say they have sensitive eyes.  I ask them these four questions and usually get the same answers.
A) Do you use eye makeup remover?
B) Do you use face cleanser around your eyes?
C) Do you use eye cream on your lids? 
D) Do you use face products around your eyes?
Most of my clients who have suffered from eye sensitivities (to certain shadows, mascaras, eye makeup removers, and eye creams) have answered “yes” to B, C, or D.  I’ve noticed that with simple changes, irritations can be relieved.
Many years ago, I had a very bad reaction around the eye.  I was using a face cleanser from a reputable French company for about 8 years, and one day I woke up to red, scaly, itchy skin around my eyes.  Whatever I used to relieve the pain would sting the skin.  I tried using emollients to help heal the dryness, but that stung as well.  My eyes made me look like I was about 100 years old, and makeup just made it look even worse.
Finally, I went to the dermatologist.  He told me I was allergic to ragweed….it was ragweed season, after all.  I told him that I had never been allergic to anything and found it strange that I would be allergic to ragweed all of a sudden.  Apparently, allergies can occur without having a previous history so I did what I was told and used the medicated cream.
The next day, I went to work.  One of my co-workers noticed the irritations and asked about it.  I told her the story, and she immediately scolded me, saying that I should never use a face product around my eyes- only eye products.    Think about it.  We know that just about anything can take off eye makeup, but is it the right thing to use?  Would you use soap and water on your hair as your shampoo?  It would still get your hair clean, but is that the correct product to use on your hair?
Since that day, I have avoided using anything around my eyes that I use to clean my face.  (Miraculously, I have never been allergic to ragweed again.)  I tell this story often to my first time clients.  I’ve also shared this story to clients of mine who are eye doctors- just to make sure that this is still the correct advice to give to other clients with eye sensitivity.  I simply ask these people to take my advice for 30 days….try it!  What can you lose? 
Only use oily eye makeup remover around your eyes.  Rinse off the excess with a wet cloth.  Only use eye cream under your eyes and not on the lid.  Your eyelids should be naturally oily.  Using an eye cream, especially an active eye cream, can make the skin on your lids react.  This may look like redness or dryness and may sting as a reaction.  The immediate response is to use more cream on top of the dryness, but this only makes it more irritated. 
Try my advice for 30 days and tell me what happens.  This technique has helped many!

2) Wash your face with a cleanser that won’t leave any residue.  Dr. Sebagh’s Foaming Cleanser is a great one, as is Skin Ceuticles Simply Clean.  Also, I absolutely love to use the Clairsonic Brush to help clean the skin better.

3) Hydrate the skin with Hyaluronic Acid or Rose Oil to help attract moisture to the skin.

4) Moisturize day and night, this includes the neck and the décolletage area, as well.

5) Exfoliate once or twice a week.  You don’t have to use grains.  Instead, you can use a Lactic Acid mask to exfoliate the skin without any granular action.  This is actually much better for the skin.  Dr. Sebagh makes an awesome one - you look like you just had a facial!  Use in addition to your hydration product and moisturize after.

Following these simple rules will help your skin maintain balance and allow your makeup to go on better.  You will also be able to use less makeup than before.  Your makeup won’t look as “cake-y” because your skin is in better condition, and it will last longer and still look good at the end of the day.  It’s TOTALLY worth the effort!

Happy Fall!






0 comments:

Post a Comment